Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Architecture > Towers > Cooling Towers

Cooling Towers Gallery

Choose from 56 pictures in our Cooling Towers collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Power Station EAR030695 Featured Cooling Towers Print

Power Station EAR030695

OCKER HILL POWER STATION, Tipton, Staffordshire. Aerial view of a coal-fired power station with three cooling towers emitting steam. It was opened in 1902 to supply power to the Black Country. It closed in 1977 and the site is occupied by a housing estate built in the 1990s. Photographed by Aeropictorial in 1957. Aerofilms Collection (see Links)

© Historic England

architecture, black and white, cloud, cooling tower, copy space, dark, day, dramatic Featured Cooling Towers Print

architecture, black and white, cloud, cooling tower, copy space, dark, day, dramatic

architecture, black and white, cloud, cooling tower, copy space, dark, day, dramatic, energy, engineering, environment, five objects, fuel and power generation, industry, low angle view, medium group of objects, no people, nuclear power, nuclear power station, nuclear reactor, ominous, outdoors, overcast, photography, power, power station, ratcliffe power station, sky, smoke, smoking, square image, steam, steaming, storm, sustainability, alternative,, David Henderson Photography, 98844479

© This content is subject to copyright.

Lea Hall Colliery and Rugeley A Power Station, Staffordshire, 1963 Featured Cooling Towers Print

Lea Hall Colliery and Rugeley A Power Station, Staffordshire, 1963

Lea Hall Colliery and Rugeley A Power Station, Staffordshire, 1963. Lea Hall was the first colliery planned and sunk by the National Coal Board (NCB) and work began in 1954, with the twin shafts being sunk to a depth of 396 metres and the first coal being produced in 1960. The colliery employed 200 men and at times it produced in excess of 1, 000, 000 tons per year. Construction started on Rugeley A Power Station in 1956 and it opened in 1963. This was the first joint venture between the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) and the NCB and coal was delivered directly from the colliery to the power station via conveyor belt. Rugeley's cooling towers were also innovative as they were the world's first large dry cooling towers. This was an experimental design intended to eliminate water loss. The power station, the first to be controlled entirely from a control room was closed in 1995 with the adjacent Rugely B remaining, having opened in 1972. Lea Hall was closed in 1990 due to economic circumstances

© Worldwide Photography / Heritage-Images