Skip to main content
emoji_people   Now is the perfect time to order your Christmas Prints and Gifts from our collection   card_giftcard
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Historic England > Industry > Windmills

Windmills Gallery

Wind power has been a source of energy for centuries, milling grain, pumping water and many other uses.

Choose from 51 pictures in our Windmills collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Historic England.


Headcorn White Mill AA028909 Featured Windmills Image

Headcorn White Mill AA028909

HEADCORN MILL, HEADCORN, Headcorn, Maidstone, Kent. A view of Headcorn Mill (White Mill), showing the smock mill intact, photographed in August 1932. Headcorn had two windmills, both smock mills, one called Black Mill and the other White Mill. This photograph shows White Mill which was erected in 1819. It was still intact in 1932 but was subsequently demolished in 1952

© Francis Matthew Shea

Union Mill AA028913 Featured Windmills Image

Union Mill AA028913

UNION MILL, THE HILL, CRANBROOK, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT. A view of Union Mill from the south, showing the smock mill intact, photographed in August 1932. This smock mill was built in 1814. When the photograph was taken it was a working mill but by 1952, when it was designated as a listed building, it was mostly run by electricity rather than by wind-power. The mill was repaired in the late 1950s and further major work was carried out in the early 2000s

© Francis Matthew Shea

Old Mill AA028941 Featured Windmills Image

Old Mill AA028941

OLD MILL, LITTLE BETTESHANGER, NORTHBOURNE, DOVER, KENT. A view of Old Mill, showing the smock mill in working condition, photographed in May 1929. A mill is known to have been standing on this site in 1769, near the hamlet of Little Betteshanger. It lost two of its sails in 1925 but the owner Lord Northbourne reconditioned the mill in 1928. At the time of the photograph it was a working mill and was operated by Mr J Court who appears to be standing at the door to the mill. It was later demolished in 1957

© Francis Matthew Shea