Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
 
Home > Historic England > Images Dated > 2008

Images Dated 2008

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 1051 pictures in our Images Dated 2008 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Historic England.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured 2008 Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

RMS Olympic BL24990_002 Featured 2008 Print

RMS Olympic BL24990_002

RMS OLYMPIC, White Star Line. First class companion, A deck. Interior view of the stairway to first class entrance on boat deck. The Olympic was the first of a class of luxurious express transatlantic ocean liners, and entered service with the White Star Line in 1911 as the largest cruise liner in the world. Sister ship of the RMS Titanic, she was the only one of the class to prove a success, serving until 1935. The clock from Olympic's grand staircase, probably made most famous through the RMS Titanic, is now on display at the Southampton Maritime Museum. Photographed by Bedford Lemere at Southampton, October 1921

© Historic England

The Old Royal Naval College AA065204 Featured 2008 Print

The Old Royal Naval College AA065204

OLD ROYAL NAVAL COLLEGE, Greenwich, London. View from a hill in Greenwich Park, looking north-west across the park towards the Queen's House and the Old Royal Naval College, with four schoolboys running down the hill in the foreground. Photographed by John Gay some time between 1955-1965

© Historic England

Georgian, Hill, Maritime, Naval, People, Stuart, World Heritage Site