Skip to main content
Framed, Prints, Puzzles, Posters, Canvas, Fine Art, Mounted, Metal, Cards, Housewares
Wall Art and Prints since 2004
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Historic Images > More Lost London

More Lost London Gallery

Choose from 152 pictures in our More Lost London collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Historic England.

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured More Lost London Image

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Cumberland Market CXP01_01_128 Featured More Lost London Image

Cumberland Market CXP01_01_128

CUMBERLAND MARKET, REGENTS PARK, CAMDEN, GREATER LONDON. A view looking south-east across Cumberland Market towards a terrace of houses on the east side of the square, south of Edward Street, and showing the King's Head pub on the south side of the square.
Cumberland Market was a hay and straw market from the early 19th century to the late 1920s. By the early 1930s buildings in the area were demolished to make way for council housing and yet more of the area was destroyed by bombing in the Second World War. The remaining buildings were demolished in 1950-51 and the Regent's Park Estate was built on the site

© Historic England Archive

Lambeth Shot Tower CXP01_01_001 Featured More Lost London Image

Lambeth Shot Tower CXP01_01_001

SHOT TOWER AND LEAD WORKS, BELVEDERE ROAD, LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON. A view across the River Thames towards the shot tower at Lambeth Lead Works in 1936. Showing the demolition of the old Waterloo Bridge on the left and a river boat sailing towards the bridge. The shot tower of the Lambeth Lead Works was designed by David Ridall Roper and was built in 1826 for Thomas Maltby & Co. At the time of this photograph it was operated by Walkers, Parker & Co but it was later demolished in 1962 to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall. The Waterloo Bridge, which is shown during its demolition, was designed by John Rennie and opened in 1817

© Historic England Archive