Skip to main content

sales@mediastorehouse.com
Tel: (678) 701-8254
Home > Historic England > Architecture > High Streets

High Streets Gallery

The changing face of English High Streets

Choose from 101 pictures in our High Streets collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping. We are proud to offer this selection in partnership with Historic England.


Rebuilding Lambeth OP35458 Featured High Streets Image

Rebuilding Lambeth OP35458

St John's Church, Waterloo Road, Lambeth, Greater London. Exterior view from the north-west of St John's Church, showing the building surrounded by scaffolding during rebuilding following bomb damage during the Second World War.
The original caption reads: "Rebuilding of St. John's Church, Waterloo Road."
St John's Church was originally built in 1823-4 to designs by the architect Francis Bedford. It was one of four churches built in Lambeth in the Greek Revival style. The church was damaged by bombs during the Second World War. It was later restored and designated as the Festival of Britain church in 1951

© Historic England Archive

Cornhill shops Bury St Edmunds MBC01_02_002 Featured High Streets Image

Cornhill shops Bury St Edmunds MBC01_02_002

Boots, Cornhill, Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk. The Boots store and Post Office at 15 and 17-18 Cornhill.
The Boots store at 15 Cornhill was built in 1910-1911 and was designed by Michael Vyne Treleaven, Boots in-house architect. The first floor windows are flanked by statues of Agricola, St Edmund, Edward I and Edward VI, sculpted by Gilbert Seale and Son Ltd. The Post Office at 17-18 Cornhill was built in 1896 and was designed by H Tanner of H M Office of Works. In the early 2000s, 15 Cornhill was occupied by W H Smith. The Post Office later moved from 17-18 Cornhill to the same premises as W H Smith next door, and the original Post Office building was redeveloped in 2020 to create two commercial units and flats behind the original facade

© Historic England Archive

Celebrity opening JLP01_08_071863 Featured High Streets Image

Celebrity opening JLP01_08_071863

Yate Shopping Centre, Yate, South Gloucestershire. A crowd walking along a precinct at Yate Shopping Centre for its official opening, showing actress Pat Phoenix and radio and TV personality Ted Ray amongst the group.
Yate shopping centre was designed by architects Stone, Toms and Partners and was constructed by Laing. It was built to serve a growing population and was a link between the old village and the new town with its modern houses. The shopping centre consisted of four wide shopping precincts linked by a centre court, housing four banks, a supermarket and a Woolworths store. There were also large car parks and a bus terminal. The official opening of Yate Shopping Centre took place on 25th September 1965 with Coronation Street actress, Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner), carrying out the ceremony watched by radio and TV personality, Ted Ray

© Historic England Archive