British Army service vehicles outside H.T.P. Motors Ltd., Back Quay, Truro, Cornwall. Around 1944
Rebuilt service vehicles, spick and span and ready for the road, being handed over to Army drivers towards the end of the Second World War. During the war H.T.P. Motors handed the Army most of their stock of cars and commercial vehicles and purchased transport generally for Government purposes. Large cars were converted to ambulances and essential civilian motor transport was provided and maintained. Ranging from armament production to the repair of Spitfire components, H.T.P.'s activities extended and multiplied rapidly with the country's growing demands. In 2018, this building is the Pannier Market on Back Quay, Truro. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC
Wroughton, Wiltshire US_7PH_GP_LOC209_V_5004
WROUGHTON, Wiltshire. This vertical photograph (taken in 1944 by the US Army Air Force) shows Barbury Castle hillfort, RAF Wroughton (centre), and the village of Wroughton. Wear lines indicate Barbury Castle and the Ridgeway have been used as a thoroughfare by military traffic. There are a number of aircraft in holding areas around the airfield, probably awaiting repairs. Most of the hangars are still extant and now in use by the Science Museum.
© Historic England (USAAF Collection)
The Lennox-Boyd brothers. Around 1915
Studio photograph of Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd with his brothers. From left to right: George Edward Lennox-Boyd (1902-1943), Alan Tindal Lennox-Boyd (1904-1983), Donald Breay Hague Lennox-Boyd (1906-1939), Francis Gordon Lennox-Boyd (1909-1944). The boys are dressed in outfits resembling First World War British Army officer uniforms. Born on 18th November 1904, Alan was the son of Alan Walter Lennox-Boyd and Florence Annie Begbie. Educated at Sherborne School, Dorset, and Christ Church, Oxford, he married Lady Patricia Florence Susan Guinness on 29th December 1938 and died on 8th March 1983. He held the office of Member of Parliament (Conservative) for Mid-Bedfordshire between 1931 and 1960, holding the positions of Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Labour in 1938, Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Aircraft Production in 1943, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs 1951-1952, Minister for Transport and Civil Aviation, 1952-1954 and Secretary of State for Colonial Affairs, 1954-1959. He served as Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve during the Second World War, was admitted to Inner Temple in 1941 and entitled to practise as a Barrister at Law. Appointed Privy Counsellor in 1951, he held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Bedfordshire between 1954 and 1960, was managing director of Arthur Guinness & Sons between 1959 and 1967 and appointed Companion of Honour in 1960. He was created 1st Viscount Boyd of Merton in September 1960 and that same year, his wife, Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, purchased Ince Castle in St Stephens by Saltash, Cornwall. In 1965, Viscount Boyd held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Cornwall. He died on 8th March 1983. The Boyd family lived at Ince Castle until 2018. George, a Major in the Highland Light Infantry, died in a military hospital in Scotland; Donald, a Captain in the Scots Guards, died in custody in Germany in events leading up to the Second World War; Francis, a Major in the Royal Scots Greys, was killed in action at Normandy, France, during the Second World War while leading 22nd Independent Parachute Company. Photographer: James Habgood, Boscombe.
© From the collection of the RIC