Pednandrea stamps and mine dressing floor at Wheal Sparnon, Redruth, Cornwall. 1865
The area in the photograph is now covered by Clinton Road, Park Road and Albany Road, Redruth. According to the Ordnance Survey Six Inch map Cornwall LXIII. NE, surveyed 1877 to 1879, the mine is disused at that time. By the same OS area map Cornwall LXIII. NE Revised 1906, the whole are is covered in housing. The mine produced copper, as well as traces of cobalt and gold. Thomas Spargo states in his book, The Mines of Cornwall (1865), that "Wheal Sparnon was in the the parish of Redruth, Cornwall, in 6,000 shares. Secretary, Mr G.H. Cardozo, London. Purser, Mr W.P. Cardozo, Camborne. Manager, Captain Wm. Tregay, Redruth. Rocks, granite and clay-slate, 60 men employed in the mine, operations on the surface of which commenced in 1864. Land owner, Lord Clinton. Dues 1-20th. Depth of adit, 18 fathoms; depth under adit, 60 fathoms. A 70-inch pumping-engine just completed, also a 22-inch winding-engine. Little has been as yet been done by the Company under the surface; but it is generally believed that enormous quantities of tin will be raised after the mine has been cleared of water". Photographer: Probably Henry Opie.
© From the collection of the RIC
Waiters, chefs and kitchen hands at London's Savoy hotel went on strike early today
Waiters, chefs and kitchen hands at London's Savoy hotel went on strike early today, it was decided that tables were to be left bare and underserviced in the private suites, restaurant and Grill room. Tickets has been detailed to guard every staff door and the taxi driver in entrance to warn the catering staff of the strike. The strikers are members of the London catering branch of the general and municipal workers union who claimed that 500 of the total staff of 800 are now in the union. The strike committee said "we have been forced to take this action after every other avenue of approach has been closed by the management."
Picture shows: Mrs Kaufmann, wife of a chef at the Savoy hotel, picketing outside the building this morning.
8 October 1946
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall. Artwork of miners and walkways at the Botallack Copper and Tin Mine at St Just, Cornwall, England. This mine, under various names, dates back to 1721. Undersea excavations were reported from 1778, and this artwork illustrates the situation in around 1862. The workings extended out under the sea for nearly a whole kilometre, and some of the tunnels were only a few metres below the seabed. In 1863 the mine employed nearly 300 men, over 100 women, and over 100 boys. The mine had reached a depth of 400 metres. The fortunes of the mine fluctuated over the years, and eventually it closed in 1914. During its history, it produced thousands of tons of tin and copper. Artwork from Mines and Miners (L. Simonin, 1868).
© SHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY