Soldiers from 3 Para Parachute from a Hercules Aircraft
Paratroopers descend to earth from a Royal Air Force Hercules aircraft during a demonstration of their skills.
Over 120 troops from A Company, 3 PARA, ( 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment) demonstrated their skills to forty NATO Defence Attaches as part of the Airborne Task Force.
The attaches watched as the Para's deployed out of two C130 Hercules aircraft flying at 800 feet above the Everleigh Dropping Zone (DZ) on Salisbury Plain. The Exercise, named EAGLES FLIGHT, included Helicopter assaults and Rapid Air Landings at South Cerney airfield.
3 PARA's main role along with 5th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland, is to train as part of the British Army's rapid reaction force
© Crown Copyright
Bristol Airport JEH_22047_061
Bristol Airport, Lulsgate Bottom, Somerset. This site was first used as a RAF relief landing ground in 1940. The aerodrome was converted and opened as a new airport for Bristol in 1957. A new control tower was added in 1962 and both the terminal building and runway were extended in 1965. Photographed here in November 1970 by Jim Hancock
© Historic England Archive
Two proud British locomotives
Locos 44767 “George Stephenson” and 92214 “Cock o The North” running on North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR).
44767 was built in 1947 for the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS), a Stanier , 4-6-0 Black Five Class numbered 4767, renumbered by British Rail 44767, withdrawn in 1967. Named “George Stephenson”, preserved and run by NYMR.
92214 was built in1959, Class 9F, 2-10-0, withdrawn 1965. Preserved by Peak Railway Society in 1980, later moved to NYMR in 2010. Named “Cock o The North” in 2011. Taken over by the Great Central Railway in 2014 and renamed “Central Star”