Chinese Guardian Statues at Temple of Wat Pho, Bangkok
Temple guard statue (Farang guard) imported from China at the temple of Wat Pho (The Temple of the Reclining Buddha) in the Phra Nakhon district, Bangkok, Thailand. The temple has sixteen gates around the complex guarded by these Chinese rock giants, originally imported as ballast on ship trading with China! Date: circa 1905
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection
The King and Queen of Siam, illustration from Le Petit Journal, 10th June 1893
XIR217554 The King and Queen of Siam, illustration from Le Petit Journal, 10th June 1893 (coloured engraving) by Meyer, Henri (1844-99); Private Collection; (add.info.: Evenements au Siam, le roi et la reine; Rama V or Chulalongkom (1868-1910);); French, out of copyright
© Copyright: www.bridgemanimages.com
Couple, English Uniform, Female, France, Franco Siamese War, Great Britain, Laos, Male, Official Portrait, Siamese, Thai, Thailand
Wat Chaiwatthanaram, Historic City of Ayutthaya, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
The temple was constructed in 1630 by the king Prasat Thong as the first temple of his reign, as a memorial of his mother's residence in that area. The temple's name literally means the Temple of long reign and glorious era. It was designed in Khmer style, which was popular in that time.
It has a central 35 meter high prang in Khmer style with four smaller prangs. The whole construction stands on a rectangular platform. About halfway up there are hidden entrances, to which steep stairs lead.
The central platform is surrounded by eight chedi-shaped chapels (Meru Thit Meru Rai), which are connected by a rectangular cross-shaped passage (Phra Rabieng). The passage had numerous side entries and was originally roofed and open inwards, but today only the foundations of the pillars and the outside wall still stand. Along the wall, there were 120 sitting Buddha statues, probably painted in black and gold.
The eight chedi-like chapels are formed in a unique way. They had paintings on the interior walls, the exterior ones decorated by 12 reliefs depicting scenes from the life of Buddha (Jataka), which must be read clockwise. Just fragments of the paintings and the reliefs survived. In each of the rectangular chedis were two sitting Buddha statues and in each of the four middle chedis was one big sitting Buddha statue, also lacquered in black and gold. The ceiling over those statues was of wood with golden stars on black lacquer
© Photo By Vichan Sriseangnil