Union Workhouse and Infirmary, Crumpsall, Manchester
Aerial view of the Manchester Union workhouse and infirmary at Crumpsall. At the bottom of the picture can be seen the original workhouse (later Springfield Hospital) with an entrance on the right. Above centre is the Union infirmary (later Crumpsall Infirmary). At the top left lies the originally separate Prestwich Union workhouse (later Delaunay's Hospital). The whole site later became North Manchester General Hospital.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10416077
Street fighting in Stalingrad
Photograph: Street fighting in Stalingrad. A picture from Axis sources shows German soldiers, glad of the shelter of a crater in a Stalingrad street. It is the toughest job of the war yet, as the German caption admits. Every house, every heap of rubble, the roofs of factories and the cellars of buildings - They all spit fire at the aggressor. What is described a ?The decisive battle? for the city is now raging. German infantry shelter in a crater during the bitter Stalingrad fighting. Both men are armed with MP40 machine pistols, the standard German submachine during the Second World War. Over one million were made between 1939-1945. Picture issued: 17 October 1942. British Official Photograph: 774/H. Keystone. One of 26 British and Soviet official photographs, 1941-1945. Mounted on card with original associated typescript captions. Covering aspects of the campaign between the German Army and Soviet Forces on the Eastern Front, 1941-1945. Includes the Battle of Stalingrad, World War Two, Eastern Front (1941-1945) 1942-1943. Date: 1942
© The National Army Museum / Mary Evans Picture Library
Band Advertisement, Training Ship Wellesley, North Shields
Advertisement offering the services of the Band of the Training Ship Wellesley, on the River Tyne at North Shields, Northumberland. In 1868, James Hall and other local businessmen set up a charity to provide shelter for Tyneside waifs and train young men for naval service. Their base from 1874 was the Wellesley until a fire in 1914 forced the institution ashore to become the Wellesley Nautical School.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10419006