DCLI recruiting march, Carclew House, Mylor, Cornwall. Friday 2nd July 1915
Soldiers of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry on the lawn in front of Carclew House, at ease during a recruitment march. Instruments of their military band are in the background. In the First World War, the regiment raised 16 battalions. It was awarded 57 battle honours, and one Victoria medal. 4501 men were lost during the course of the war. Originally owned by the Bonython family, the house and estate were purchased by William Lemon (1696-1760) in 1749 who employed the architect Thomas Edwards to enlarge and modernise the house in the style of Palladio's Villa Ragona. The house was further extended by Sir William Lemon (1748-1824) in the early 19th century by architect William Wood. It was destroyed by fire in 1934 but one wing was restored in the late 1930s to house refugees. There are a few ruins preserved. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.
© From the collection of the RIC
'A Nation's Shrine from the Air - Home of Washington, Founder of the Republic, Mt
'A Nation's Shrine from the Air - Home of Washington, Founder of the Republic, Mt. Vernon, Va.', c1930s. Aerial view of Mount Vernon, a Palladian home on the plantation of George Washington, first President of the United States and his wife, Martha Washington. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960. From "Tour of the World". [Keystone View Company, Meadville, Pa., New York, Chicago, London]
© The Print Collector/Heritage Images
San Giorgio Maggiore cloister, Giorgio Cini Foundation. Venice, Veneto, Italy, Europe
San Giorgio Maggiore cloister, Giorgio Cini Foundation. Venice, Veneto, Italy, Europe.
© Peter Fischer/ AWL Images Ltd
Awl, Church, Cloister, Cypress, Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Garden, Isola Di San Giorgio Maggiore, Monastery, Palladian, Peter Fischer, Rm, San Giorgio Maggiore, Serenissima, Sestiere San Marco, Southern Europe, Unesco World Herritage Site, Veneto, Venice, Western Europe