Standing stones. This is Castlerigg Stone Circle, Cumbria, England. It is on the level top of a hill in the Lake District. There are 38 stones making a circle about 30 metres across, with other stones within the circle. The tallest stone is more than 2 metres tall. It is thought that it was built in around 3000 BC, the later part of the Stone Age. It is believed that it was used by the prehistoric peoples of the area for ceremonial or religious purposes. It may also have been used in astronomy, as several astronomical alignments can be observed with the stones. The site is owned by the National Trust.
© JEREMY WALKER/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
The City Hotel and St Mary's Terrace, Kenwyn Road, Truro, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s
The City Hotel and St Mary's Terrace looking up the hill, with passers-by and a horse and trap. A sign advertising 'R. Menhennet, Mason' can be seen on the left. Photographer: Arthur Philp.
© From the collection of the RIC
Accommodation, Children, Cornish, House, Inn, Lodging, Monumental, People, Public, Scene, Street
The Column of Constantine or Burnt Column, Istanbul
The Column of Constantine (or 'Burnt Column') is a monumental column constructed on the orders of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great in 330 AD. It commemorates the declaration of Byzantium (renamed by Constantine as Nova Roma) as the new capital city of the Roman Empire. The column is located on Yeni祲iler Caddesi in Cenberlitas, central Istanbul, along the old Divan Yolu (the 'Road to the Imperial Council') between Sultanahmet and Beyazare (known as Forum Tauri in the Roman period.). Earthquakes and a fire in 1779 destroyed the neighborhood surrounding the column, leaving it with black scorch marks and earning it the name 'Burnt Column'. The column was restored by Abdd I, who had the present masonry base added. The base was strengthened in 1779. The original platform of the column is 2.5 meters below ground. Date: circa 1910s
© Mary Evans / Grenville Collins Postcard Collection