Captain Tom Gundry, champion Cornish wrestler. Probably early 1880s
A studio portrait photograph of the champion Cornish wrestler, Thomas Gundry, wearing a wrestling jacket and two championship sashes. Gundry was born at Higher Prospidnick, Sithney, on 16th October 1818 and died at Stennack, Camborne, on 22nd October 1888. His obituary in the 'Mining Journal' of 27th October 1888 reads "Captain Tom Gundry is dead. This brief announcement will be read with regret by Cornishmen in every quarter of the world. 'Captain Tom' was the best known of the old school of Cornish wrestlers, and will be remembered for his prowess in the ring, and not as a mine agent. Born 70 years ago Captain Tom was bred in the parish of Sithney and from a child developed a strong passion for the favourite sport of the West Countryman. In the old days, wrestling was cultivated to a far higher degree than now; the leading gentlemen of the county, assisted by their patronage, presence, and financial support; and a match was the signal for an exodus of miners to witness the bouts. Captain Tom held the championship for a long period; he won many cups, and wrestled, not only in Cornwall and Devon; but in London also. It is said of him that whilst he unquestionably bought many 'backs', he never sold his own. He was at one time agent at Camborne Consols, and at another period agent at North Basset. Of late years he now and then assisted as stickler in the wrestling field. He expired at his home near Camborne, on Tuesday evening." He was married four times, the last at Treslothan, Camborne in May 1880. Photographer: John Charles Burrow.
© From the collection of the RIC
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall
19th-century tin mine, Cornwall. Artwork of miners and walkways at the Botallack Copper and Tin Mine at St Just, Cornwall, England. This mine, under various names, dates back to 1721. Undersea excavations were reported from 1778, and this artwork illustrates the situation in around 1862. The workings extended out under the sea for nearly a whole kilometre, and some of the tunnels were only a few metres below the seabed. In 1863 the mine employed nearly 300 men, over 100 women, and over 100 boys. The mine had reached a depth of 400 metres. The fortunes of the mine fluctuated over the years, and eventually it closed in 1914. During its history, it produced thousands of tons of tin and copper. Artwork from Mines and Miners (L. Simonin, 1868).
© SHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Markham Colliery, Mining
Markham Colliery near Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. A smiling coal miner stands in front of a production table notice, which states target, and actual outputs. It was here, on July 31, 1973, that 18 coal miners lost their lives and a further 11 were seriously injured when a descending cage carrying the men to the pit face failed to slow down as it approached the bottom of the mine shaft.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10430490