Ken Livingstone with Adrian Edmonson and Rik Mayall
Ken Livingstone (Kenneth Robert Livingstone, b 1945), British Labour politician (centre). Seen here Adrian Edmondson (Adrian Charles "Ade" Edmondson, b 1957) and Rik Mayall (Richard Michael "Rik" Mayall, b 1958), both of them actors, writers and comedians, well known for their brand of alternative comedy.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10472213
The General Strike - Government leaders
Government leaders during the General Strike: Ministers and Commissioners. 1. Chief Civil Commissioner: Sir W. Mitchell-Thomson, 2. Principal Chief Assistant Commissioner, Mr. A. B. Lowry, 3. Civil Commissioner, London and Home Counties Division: Major W. Cope, 4. Civil Commissioner, Eastern Division: Major Sir Philip Sassoon, 5. Coal-owner's representatives leaving Downing Street: (Left to right) Messrs. W. A. Lee, Evan Williams, Edward Mann, and Guthrie. 6. Civil Commissioner for the North Midland Division: Captain H. Douglas King, 7. The Members of the Coal Commission: (Left to right) Mr. Kenneth Lee, Sir William Beveridge, Sir Herbert Samuel, (Chairman) and Sir Herbert Lawrence. 8. Minister of Labour: Sir Arthur Steel Maitland. 9. Civil Commissioner, Midland Division: Lt. Col. the Hon. G.F. Stanley. 11. Civil Commissioner, North Eastern Division: Captain D. H. Hacking. 12. Parliamentary Secretary to the Department of Mines: Col. G.R. Lane-Fox, 13. Civil Commissioner, South Midland Division: Major Earl Winterton, 14. The Home Secretary: Sir William Joynson-Hicks. In support of a strike by coal miners over the issue of threatened wage cuts, the Trades Union Congress called a General Strike in early May 1926. The strike only involved certain key industrial sectors (docks, electricity, gas, railways) but, in the face of well-organised government emergency measures and lack of real public support, it collapsed after nine days.
© Mary Evans Picture Library 2015 - https://copyrighthub.org/s0/hub1/creation/maryevans/MaryEvansPictureID/10223072
'North View of Friar Bacon's Study at Oxford', late 18th century, (1943). Creator
'North View of Friar Bacon's Study at Oxford', late 18th century, (1943). The tower to the left of Folly Bridge housed the study of Roger Bacon (c1214-1292), English experimental scientist, philosopher and Franciscan friar. Bacon was known as 'Doctor Mirabilis' due to his interest in magic and alchemy, the pursuit of which led ultimately to his being expelled from the Franciscan order. He experimented with optics and lenses, leading to the development of spectacles. By the late 18th century this study had become a place of pilgrimage for scientists. Samuel Pepys visited it in 1669, remarking: 'So to Friar Bacon's study: I up and saw it, and gave the man 1s[hilling]...Oxford mighty fine place'. The building was pulled down in the 18th century to allow for road widening. From "British Philosophers', by Kenneth Matthews. [Collins, London, 1943]
© The Print Collector/Heritage Images