Painted Murals And Frescoes Inside A Room At The Ancient Roman Ruins At Herculaneum (Ercolano), Campania, Italy
Located in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius, Herculaneum (Ercolano) was an ancient Roman town destroyed by volcanic pyroclastic flows in 79 AD. Its ruins are located in the commune of Ercolano, Campania, Italy.
As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is famous as one of the few ancient cities that can now be seen in much of its original splendour, as well as for having been lost, along with Pompeii, Stabiae, Oplontis and Boscoreale, in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 that buried it. Unlike Pompeii, the deep pyroclastic material which covered it preserved wooden and other organic-based objects such as roofs, beds, doors, food and even some 300 skeletons which were surprisingly discovered in recent years along the seashore as it was thought until then that the town had been evacuated by the inhabitants.
Herculaneum was a wealthier town than Pompeii, possessing an extraordinary density of fine houses with, for example, far more lavish use of coloured marble cladding
© :: Artie | Photography ::
March 1890: Pictures showing various aspects of building the Forth Bridge: its size compared with the Eiffel Tower; a demonstration of the cantilever process; a cassion being towed into position and a general view of the Inchgarvie cantilever. The Forth Bridge spans the Firth of Forth at Queensferry in Lothian and is over a mile long. The steel cantilever construction was designed by John Fowler and Benjamin Baker to carry a double-track railway line and a road over the river. When it was completed in 1890 it was the longest bridge of its kind and considered a great achievement in engineering. Graphic - pub. 1890 (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
Arrol Gantry, Belfast BL20480
The Arrol Gantry and crane at Harland and Wolff Heavy Industries shipyard on Queen's Island, Belfast, Northern Ireland. This enormous gantry, measuring 840 feet long and over 200 feet high, was built by Sir William Arrol & Co of Glasgow to Harland & Wolff's designs. It was erected along with two new slipways in order to construct three new transatlantic liners for the White Star Line; RMS Olympic, HMHS Britannic and the infamous RMS Titanic. Photographed in March 1909 by Bedford Lemere and Company
© Historic England Archive