Richard Robinson, Primate of Ireland, 1779, (1944). Creator: Sir Joshua Reynolds
Richard Robinson, Primate of Ireland, 1779, (1944). Portrait of English cleric Richard Robinson (1709-1794) who was made Archbishop of Armagh in 1765. The painting, commissioned to hang at Rokeby Hall, Robinson's house in County Louth in Ireland, is in the collection of the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, Birmingham. From "British Portrait Painters", by John Russell. [Collins, London, 1944]
© The Print Collector/Heritage Images
Religion - Cardinal Bernard Griffin - Home Park, Plymouth
Plymouth commemorated 'the simple son of a Wessex land-owner' with a colourful pageant in the Home Park, Plymouth Argyle Football Club's ground, attended by 15, 000 Roman Catholics led by Cardinal Bernard Griffin, Archbishop of Westminster. The pageant recalled the life and death 1200 years ago of Winfred, the Saxon who became known as the Apostle of Germany, and later was canonised as St. Boniface. Winfred was martyred by marauding tribesmen in the territory called Friesland, now known as Holland. Picture shows Cardinal Bernard Griffin in the procession prior to the High Mass which followed the pageant. Cardinal Joseph Wendel, Archbishop of Munich and Friesing celebrated the High Mass.
© PA/Press Association Images
St Marys Cathedral, Perth, Western Australia
St Marys Cathedral, Perth, officially the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Perth, and seat of its Archbishop, currently Timothy Costelloe. The cathedral is at the centre of Victoria Square, on the northern end of Victoria Avenue, Perth, Western Australia. The cathedral as it now stands was constructed in three main phases, with the first phase completed in 1865. Plans were drawn up for the replacement of the cathedral in the 1920s with a larger Perpendicular Gothic edifice. However, construction was interrupted by the onset of the Great Depression, leaving a new transept and sanctuary, with the aisle of the original cathedral as its nave. After 70 years incomplete, and portions of the cathedral requiring extensive repair work, funds were eventually raised in the late 1990s and early 2000s for the completion of the expansion. A new curved design for the expansion was created, and featured a second spire and underground parish centre. The cathedral closed for construction in 2006, and reopened in December 2009.
© :: Artie | Photography ::