A New Map of the Roman Empire, from 'A Prospect of the Most Famous Parts of the World', pub
BAL42841 A New Map of the Roman Empire, from 'A Prospect of the Most Famous Parts of the World', pub. by Bassett & Chiswell, 1676 (hand coloured plate engraving) by Speed, John (1552-1629); O'Shea Gallery, London, UK; (add.info.: Inscription reads 'A New Mappe of the Romane Empire, newly described by John Speede, and are to be sold by Tho. Bassett in Fleet Street, & Ric Chiswell in St Pauls Churchyard; The atlas was originally printed by George Humble in 1627, but Bassett & Chiswell published their own edition in 1676;); English, out of copyright
© Copyright: www.bridgemanimages.com
Pharos lighthouse, Ptolemaic Egypt
Pharos lighthouse. Historical artwork showing what the Pharos lighthouse at Alexandria, Egypt, in the third century BC, might have looked like. The lighthouse, also known as the Pharos of Ptolemy, was designed by Sostratus of Cnidus, and built in the reign of Pharaoh Ptolemy Philadelphus between 285 and 247 BC. It was built from white marble, and fires were used at night, and mirrors in the day, to direct ships into the bay of Alexandria. Its height was between 115 and 135 metres, one of the tallest man-made objects of the time, and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It was destroyed by several earthquakes in the 14th century. Artwork from The Picture Magazine (volume 111, London, 1894).
© SHEILA TERRY/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
Staff of 'Blue Train', Jerusalem 1946
Staff of "Blue Train" MWA 11, Jerusalem.
In view of the heavy volume of telegraphic traffic arising in Palestine in 1946, Cable and Wireless transferred a mobile wireless unit from Italy to Jerusalem to supplement the cable circuit from Haifa via Cyprus, Alexandria, Malta and Gibraltar to London. This mobile unit was known as "Blue Train", and was capable of handling up to 40, 000 words a day and available to carry all classes of traffic. Equipment was shipped to enable the unit to transmit and receive pictures by wireless. This image shows the inside of the operating coach, with J.P. Walker, K.H. Hughes and K.Haworth at work. March 1946. PHO///1462
© The PK Trust