Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Europe > United Kingdom > England > Cornwall > Gwennap

Gwennap Gallery

Gwennap can be found in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom in Europe

Choose from 38 pictures in our Gwennap collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Gwennap Pit, Gwennap, Cornwall. Probably 1931 Featured Gwennap Print

Gwennap Pit, Gwennap, Cornwall. Probably 1931

A solitary figure of a man at the bottom of the Pit. There is a house on the right and another building on the left. An open air amphitheatre near Redruth made famous by John Wesley the founder of Methodism, John Wesley first visited Gwennap Pit on 5th September 1762. At this time it was described as a relic of mining activities in the area, with a rock face covered in vegetation by the 1760s. In 1766 Wesley described it as "a round green hollow gently shelving down" and as "a natural amphitheatre". In November 1806 a mining engineer Richard Michell of Gwennap and four mine Captains: John Martin, John Dennis, W. Davey and T. Trestrail met at Busveal and agreed to repair Gwennap Pit or rather reconstruct the amphitheatre in respect to and in memory of John Wesley who had died in 1791. Between 1762 and 1789 John Wesley preached at Gwennap Pit eighteen times. The amphitheatre has twelve staged rings top to bottom. It is claimed that walking around all twelve levels top to bottom is equal to one mile and that it can hold 1,500 people. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Gwennap Pit, Busveal, Cornwall. Around 1900s Featured Gwennap Print

Gwennap Pit, Busveal, Cornwall. Around 1900s

A service at Gwennap Pit. The photograph captures an excellent display of fashionable clothing worn for Sunday best. An open air amphitheatre near Redruth made famous by John Wesley the founder of Methodism, John Wesley first visited Gwennap Pit on 5th September 1762. At this time it was described as a relic of mining activities in the area, with a rock face covered in vegetation by the 1760s. In 1766 Wesley described it as "a round green hollow gently shelving down" and as "a natural amphitheatre". In November 1806 a mining engineer Richard Michell of Gwennap and four mine Captains: John Martin, John Dennis, W. Davey and T. Trestrail met at Busveal and agreed to repair Gwennap Pit or rather reconstruct the amphitheatre in respect to and in memory of John Wesley who had died in 1791. Between 1762 and 1789 John Wesley preached at Gwennap Pit eighteen times. The amphitheatre has twelve staged rings top to bottom. It is claimed that walking around all twelve levels top to bottom is equal to one mile and that it can hold 1,500 people. Photographer: Arthur Philp

© From the collection of the RIC