Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Europe > United Kingdom > England > Cornwall > Camborne

Camborne Gallery

Camborne can be found in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom in Europe

Choose from 102 pictures in our Camborne collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. All professionally made for Quick Shipping.


Captain Tom Gundry, champion Cornish wrestler. Probably early 1880s Featured Camborne Print

Captain Tom Gundry, champion Cornish wrestler. Probably early 1880s

A studio portrait photograph of the champion Cornish wrestler, Thomas Gundry, wearing a wrestling jacket and two championship sashes. Gundry was born at Higher Prospidnick, Sithney, on 16th October 1818 and died at Stennack, Camborne, on 22nd October 1888. His obituary in the Mining Journal of 27th October 1888 reads "Captain Tom Gundry is dead. This brief announcement will be read with regret by Cornishmen in every quarter of the world. Captain Tom was the best known of the old school of Cornish wrestlers, and will be remembered for his prowess in the ring, and not as a mine agent. Born 70 years ago Captain Tom was bred in the parish of Sithney and from a child developed a strong passion for the favourite sport of the West Countryman. In the old days, wrestling was cultivated to a far higher degree than now; the leading gentlemen of the county, assisted by their patronage, presence, and financial support; and a match was the signal for an exodus of miners to witness the bouts. Captain Tom held the championship for a long period; he won many cups, and wrestled, not only in Cornwall and Devon; but in London also. It is said of him that whilst he unquestionably bought many backs, he never sold his own. He was at one time agent at Camborne Consols, and at another period agent at North Basset. Of late years he now and then assisted as stickler in the wrestling field. He expired at his home near Camborne, on Tuesday evening." He was married four times, the last at Treslothan, Camborne in May 1880. Photographer: John Charles Burrow

© From the collection of the RIC

Group of Miners, Dolcoath Mine, Camborne, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s Featured Camborne Print

Group of Miners, Dolcoath Mine, Camborne, Cornwall. Probably early 1900s

A group of miners at the surface. This photograph is probably taken somewhear near the dry or change house at Dolcoath, where the miners could wash and exchange their wet and dirty clothes for their surface clothes. It is taken prior to the men going underground, as they look clean and tidy, with some still wearing ordinary headgear. Also there are lots of candles in evidence that they will need underground. The older man on the right of the picture might be a Mine Captain. The earliest records of this mine show that it was being worked for copper in 1740, and probably earlier. It was nearly 300ft deep in 1746 and an extensive mine in 1778, when a section of its eastern part was published in Pryce's Mineralogis Cornubiensis. It closed ten years later, to reopen in 1799. In the next 120 years it became the largest and deepest mine in Cornwall, with its bottom level 3,000ft below the surface. Its output of copper and tin ores to 1788 is thought to have been no less than 1,2500,000, pounds, of which copper alone realised some 450,000 between 1740 and 1777. Between 1799 and 1920 its output amounted to over 9 million pounds, including income from sales of arsenic, silver and other minerals. The mine was in the dividend list for most of its working life, and shares, nicknamed Dollies, were the blue chip of the industry. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Laying track for the Camborne Redruth tramway, Redruth, Cornwall. Around 1902 Featured Camborne Print

Laying track for the Camborne Redruth tramway, Redruth, Cornwall. Around 1902

Workers laying the track in the west end of Redruth for the Camborne Redruth Tramway. Pednandrea chimney stack can be seen in the background. The tramway opened for passengers on 7th November 1902 and ran until the 29th September 1927. Part of the A.K. Hamilton Jenkin collection. Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC