Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > Architecture > Great Houses

Great Houses Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 1,457 pictures in our Great Houses collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456 Featured Great Houses Print

Holland House library after an air raid BB83_04456

HOLLAND HOUSE, Kensington, London. An interior view of the bombed library at Holland House with readers apparently choosing books regardless of the damage. Photographed in 1940. The House was heavily bombed during World War II and remained derelict until 1952 when parts of the remains were preserved.
Holland House, originally known as Cope Castle, was a great house in Kensington in London, situated in what is now Holland Park. Created in 1605 in the Elizabethan or Jacobean style for the diplomat Sir Walter Cope, the building later passed to the powerful Rich family, then the Fox family, under whose ownership it became a noted gathering-place for Whigs in the 19th century. The house was largely destroyed by German firebombing during the Blitz in 1940; today only the east wing and some ruins of the ground floor still remain.
In 1940, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended the last great ball held at the house. A few weeks later, on 7 September, the German bombing raids on London that would come to be known as the Blitz began. During the night of 27 September, Holland House was hit by twenty-two incendiary bombs during a ten-hour raid. The house was largely destroyed, with only the east wing, and, miraculously, almost all of the library remaining undamaged. Surviving volumes included the sixteenth-century Boxer Codex.
Holland House was granted Grade I listed building status in 1949, under the auspices of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947; the Act sought to identify and preserve buildings of special historic importance, prompted by the damage caused by wartime bombing. The building remained a burned-out ruin until 1952, when its owner, Giles Fox-Strangways, 6th Earl of Ilchester, sold it to the London County Council (LCC). The remains of the building passed from the LCC to its successor, the Greater London Council (GLC) in 1965, and upon the dissolution of the GLC in 1986 to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Today, the remains of Holland House form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre, home of Opera Holland Park. The YHA (England and Wales) "London Holland Park" youth hostel is now located in the house. The Orangery is now an exhibition and function space, with the adjoining former Summer Ballroom now a restaurant, The Belvedere. The former ice house is now a gallery space

© Historic England Archive

Peter the Great House at Deptford 1850 Featured Great Houses Print

Peter the Great House at Deptford 1850

Peter the Great House at Deptford. near the docks was the seat of john Evelyn called Says or Sayes Court, where Peter the Great, Czar of Muscovy resided Sayes court was not based on a very secure footing for he tells in 1660-1 that he had repeated visits from his Majestys surveyor, to take an account of what grounds I challengd at Sayes Court. Date: 1850

© Bubblepunk

Column, Zawijet el Metin, Egypt, (1928). Creator: Unknown Featured Great Houses Print

Column, Zawijet el Metin, Egypt, (1928). Creator: Unknown

Column, Zawijet el Metin, Egypt, (1928). ...composite column of Nymphaea lotus the capital of which is formed of an open calyx...2400-2300 B.C. From the rock tomb of Chunes in Zavyet el Metin which belongs to the 6th Dynasty (about 2420-2270 B.C). Chunes is mentioned in the inscription on the tomb as "Relation of the King, Lord of the Great House, Head of the Priests". Plate III, fig 6, from "An Encyclopaedia of Colour Decoration from the Earliest Times to the Middle of the XIXth Century" with explanatory text by Helmuth Bossert. [Ernst Wasmuth Ltd., Berlin, 1928]

© The Print Collector/Heritage Images