Featured 2005 Image
Airbus A380-800 Cutaway Poster
In 2010, Airbus announced a new A380-800 build standard incorporating a strengthened air frame structure and a 1.5? increase in wing twist. Airbus will also offer, as an option, an improved maximum take-off weight, thus providing a better payload/range performance. Maximum take-off weight is increased by 4 t (8, 800 lb), to 573 t (1, 263, 000 lb) and an additional 100 nautical miles (190 km) in range.
This is achieved by reducing flight loads, partly from optimising the fly-by-wire control laws. British Airways and Emirates are to be the first two customers to receive this new option in 2013. Vietnam Airlines has shown interest in the higher-weight variant.
In 2012, Airbus announced another increase in the A380's maximum take-off weight, to 575 t (1, 268, 000 lb), a 6t hike on the initial variant and 2t higher than the increased-weight proposal of 2010. It will stretch the range by some 150 nautical miles (280 km), taking its capability to around 8, 350 nautical miles (15, 460 km) at current payloads. The higher-weight version would be offered for introduction to service early in 2013.
The Airbus A380 is a double-deck, wide-body, four-engine jet airliner manufactured by Airbus. It is the world's largest passenger airliner, and many airports have upgraded their facilities to accommodate it because of its size. It was initially named Airbus A3XX; Airbus designed the aircraft to challenge Boeing's monopoly in the large-aircraft market. The A380 made its first flight on 27 April 2005 and entered commercial service in October 2007 with Singapore Airlines.
The A380's upper deck extends along the entire length of the fuselage, with a width equivalent to a wide-body aircraft. This gives the A380-800's cabin 478 square metres (5, 145.1 sq ft) of floor space, which is 40% more than the next-largest airliner, the Boeing 747-8, and provides seating for 525 people in a typical three-class configuration or up to 853 people in an all-economy class configuration. The A380-800 has a design range of 15, 700 kilometres (8, 500 nmi; 9, 800 mi), sufficient to fly nonstop from Dubai to Los Angeles, and a cruising speed of Mach 0.85 (about 900 km/h, 560 mph or 490 kn at cruising altitude)
© FlightGlobal - All Rights Reserved
Featured 2005 Image
Second floodlit match at Highbury Stadium
Arsenal v Glasgow Rangers 17th October 1951. (The First floodlight match at Highbury was Arsenal v Hapoel Tel Aviv on 19th September 1951). Credit: Arsenal Football Club.
Floodlights were fitted in 1951, with the first floodlit match being a friendly against Hapoel Tel Aviv on 19 September of that year. The floodlights that adorn Dalymount Park, once stood at the Arsenal stadium. They were shipped to Dublin in 1962. The inaugural floodlit match saw Arsenal beat Bohemians 3-8.
Arsenal Stadium was a football stadium in Highbury, North London, which was the home ground of Arsenal Football Club between 6 September 1913 and 7 May 2006. It was mainly known as "Highbury" due to its location and was given the affectionate nickname of "The Home of Football" by the club.
It was originally built in 1913 on the site of a local college's recreation ground and was significantly redeveloped twice. The first came in the 1930s, from which the Art Deco East and West Stands date; the second in the late 1980s and early 1990s following the Taylor Report, during which the terraces at both ends of the pitch were removed, making it all-seater with four stands. The resulting reduction in capacity and match-day revenue eventually led to Arsenal opting to build a new stadium, to become known as the Emirates Stadium, nearby, to which they moved in 2006. Recently, Highbury has undergone redevelopment to turn it into a block of flats, with most of the stadium being demolished; parts of the East and West Stands remained to be incorporated into the new development due to their listed status.
The stadium also hosted international matches - both for England and in the 1948 Summer Olympics - and FA Cup semi-finals, as well as boxing, baseball and cricket matches. Its presence also led to the local London Underground station being renamed to Arsenal in 1932, making it the only station on the Underground network to be named after a football club.
In addition to its architecture, the stadium was known for its small but immaculate pitch and for the famous clock which was positioned in the southern side of the ground since its introduction in 1930
© Arsenal 2005 - All Rights Reserved