Skip to main content
sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004
Home > All Images > 1890

1890 Gallery

Available as Framed Photos, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 168 pictures in our 1890 collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Photos, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


LCC- MFB Blackheath fire station Featured 1890 Print

LCC- MFB Blackheath fire station

Blackheath fire station, located at Brigade Street, Tranquil Vale, SE3 (very near the Mary Evans Picture Library), with the escape ladder stored at the side. On the roof of the station can be seen the telegraph aerial connecting the station to the headquarters at Southwark. Also on the roof and overhanging the side of the building are the pulleys to which the hoses are attached, raised on ropes, where they are allowed to dry. The building still stands today

© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library

LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1 Featured 1890 Print

LCC-MFB, HQ station, Southwark SE1

The new headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) opened in 1878 under its Chief Officer Captain Eyre Massey Shaw. With the creation of the London County Council in 1889 it became responsible for the capital's fire service and the MFB changed its name to the London Fire Brigade. Seen here is the HQ engine house with its horse drawn escape cart and two horse drawn steam driven pumps. They were first introduced into the London Fire Engine Establishment (the forerunner of the MFB) in 1860

© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library

LCC- MFB Notting Hill fire station, West London Featured 1890 Print

LCC- MFB Notting Hill fire station, West London

Notting Hill fire station (A10) was built in 1868 by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB), located at 83 Ladbroke Road. The previous year, escape ladders were put under the control of the MFB who took over this role from the Royal Society for the Preservation of Life from Fire. Here the escape ladder is seen by the Fire lantern, although the MFB now carried these ladders on horse drawn escape carts. The station closed in 1915 and was converted to a private residence

© London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library